What To Bring & Not Bring To Your College Dorm Room
Before leaving for school find out what is allowed as well as what is FORBIDDEN.
Do NOT bring the following:
- incense and incense burners
- halogen lamps
- hot plates and toaster ovens
- space heaters
Also, leave the family pet at home. Not even a goldfish is allowed in a dorm. Don’t even think about it.
Call your roommate to coordinate what to bring to make your new dorm room more like home. You may want to discuss the following:
Is your room carpeted? Should you bring a rug?
What about a dorm sized refrigerator?
How about sharing a computer, stereo, TV and VCR?
These are the things you SHOULD bring:
- flashlight and batteries
- small sewing kit
- address book and calendar for your class schedule
- alarm clock
- bedding – pillow, sheets, blanket, mattress pad
- towels and wash clothes
- clothes hangers
- laundry bag and laundry supplies
- shower caddy
- desk supplies – paper, pencils, notebooks, stamps, computer paper, stapler, Post-It notes
- phone – if the jack is in the room
- coffee maker – if permitted
- kitchen utensils
- extension cords and surge protector
- desk lamp
Call your school’s residential life office to find out just what you can and cannot bring.